Visitation Interference: How To Cope

If you made mistakes as a teenager that could potentially hurt your career as an adult, learn from my family's experience on how to help with that situation.

Visitation Interference: How To Cope

2 November 2021
 Categories: Law, Blog

Parents have many custody and visitation choices when they part ways. In most cases, the parent who doesn't have full-time custody of a minor child is provided with visitation privileges. Like all privileges, the right to spend time with a child is contingent on how seriously the parent takes the responsibility. When things go wrong, it may be referred to as visitation interference. To find out more, read on.

Visitation Goes Wrong

Perhaps it's only natural that the same parents that had trouble with each other before they split up now have issues with visitation and more. When problems do pop up with visitation, it's important for parents to be able to work minor issues out. Unfortunately, when it comes to your children, even minor issues can seem upsetting. The courts do not expect parents to appear before a judge every time a parent brings a child home a bit late. Other minor issues that you must try to work out with your ex include:

  • Not loving the new relationship the ex is involved in
  • Disagreeing with the ex on how much sugar is too much
  • Being too inflexible about canceled visitations when problems occur at work or because of illness
  • Freaking out when the ex is hours late because their vehicle broke down

Visitation Goes Very Wrong

That doesn't mean you must put up with behavior from your ex that endangers your child in any way. The courts take the welfare of children very seriously and they need to know about it when your ex is both doing the following and you have proof of it:

  • They leave the state or the country with your child without permission.
  • Your child is being subjected to criminal or drug-related behaviors.
  • Your ex is an alcoholic who is actively drinking during visitation times.
  • Your child reports that their parent used physical punishment or is psychologically abusive.

What To Do

Taking action quickly is advisable — even if you must disobey the visitation orders to protect your child. Take the following actions:

  1. Call law enforcement and ensure a report is filed.
  2. Take photographs and seek witnesses to the wrongdoing.
  3. Call your lawyer immediately and have them request an emergency hearing to prevent your ex from (temporarily) spending time with your child until matters are resolved.

Once you see bad things happening with the visitation situation, don't hesitate to contact your family attorney and take action.

About Me
teenage mistakes that could ruin adult careers

My son has had the goal of becoming an attorney since he was about 14 years old. Unfortunately, he made a very poor decision with a group of friends when he was 16 that put his future plans in jeopardy. When my son told me what had happened and we received the citation, I knew that we had to hire an attorney to help him through this. I could not see how a small incident such as this should hurt his chances for success when he is an adult. Thankfully, things worked out for us, but it was a long journey which you can follow on our blog.